o NBC has started this project that will host several sub-projects including:
o – Nursery development in Gahanga sector, NBC has started nursery construction to produce agroforestry, forestry and ornamental trees species.
o Multiplication of Bamboo , fruits trees, forestry & agroforestry trees and their planting;
o Soil erosion control (planting trees…)
o Water sanitation;
o Renewable energy (use of clean cooking stoves, solar and biogas);
o Food security through the promotion of the Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA).
SUB-PROJECT: – Multiplication of Bamboo
AIM OF THE PROJECT; the project aims at producing Bamboo species that will be planted in Nyabarongo river watersheds in terms of soil erosion control on the river banks and preventing floods as it has found that big volume of soil is taken by the flowing water thus affect crops by floods that negatively affect agriculture production by damaging crops around river side’s.
Objectives of the project: – soil erosion control
– Reducing risks of flooding
– Biodiversity conservation as this will provide shelter for some animals,
– Keeping the river moist as will be reducing the drought speed of the river that lead to shortage of water in the river,
– Contributing to Nile river conservation initiatives highlighted by different countries through conserving Nyabarongo river as it is considered among great sources of the Big Nile,
– Helping farmers in integration of climate smart agriculture (perform agricultural practices but also apply activities that may conserve the river)…
Advantages: The advantage that we have in this project is that we have been given the planting materials of Bamboo species by the partners of REMA who own the security Bamboo plantations found in the river.
Challenges: the challenge is that Bamboo multiplication requires much attention and technical skills for them to grow up in nurseries, so there is possibility that the growth rate may be low.